One Winch Launch with a Qualified Instructor
(includes a month’s temporary club membership)
A trial lesson flight is an opportunity to sample the joy and beauty of gliding and will last 5 – 15 minutes subject to the weather conditions on the day.
An instructor will fly you in one of our two-seater gliders, answer your questions – and point out the aerial views. If you feel comfortable, they will supervise while you take control of the glider in the air!
Before the flight you will be briefed on what to expect during the flight, shown the glider’s instruments and controls, and given some basic tuition in the operation of the primary control “stick” should you wish to try this.
Who can Fly?
There are surprisingly few restrictions on who can enjoy gliding. Generally, if you are fit enough to drive a car, you are fit enough to fly.
Disabilities need not prevent someone from taking a trial lesson, and age is no handicap (just watch the Never Too Old video on the right).
Safety considerations and aircraft loading limitations do, however, mean that very small children or people over 6 feet 3 inches (192 cm) may not be able to fly. Maximum weight is 16 st (102 kg).
Flying takes place on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00am…weather permitting!
Purchasing a Trial Lesson
Pre-paid Trial Lesson Flight vouchers, valid for use 12 months from issue, are available and make an ideal gift, and may be purchased online below. You can pay by Credit/Debit card or Pay Pal by using the Buy Now Button (below). The voucher and information booklets will be posted to you.
Booking Your Trial Lesson Flight
Due to the Covid-19 restrictions and everyone’s safety being very important, we have modified our Trial Lesson and Silver Course booking procedures. We are having to restrict numbers to 3-Trial Lessons or 1-Silver Course a day. If a family has booked two silver courses then in exceptional circumstances we may allow two.
Once you have received your voucher and information booklet through the post, you can then follow the procedure below to book your Trial Lesson or Silver Course.
- Click on Calendar at the top of this page. This will display the calendar and show the current bookings and vacant dates.
- Look at the calendar and find a suitable Saturday or Sunday that has a slot bearing in mind the 3-Trial Lessons or 1-Silver Course limit mentioned above. Please allow one weeks notice for the booking so we can organise an instructor and glider for you.
- Once you have identified a vacant date, please email the following information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Selected date
- Voucher type
- Voucher number
- The name on the voucher
- Phone contact number so we can contact you in the event of a query or bad weather on the selected day
- Your emailed request will be processed and placed on the calendar and a confirmation email will then be sent to you with details of the time you should be at the club. The exact time of your flight can not be guaranteed due to the nature of gliding and weather conditions. Trial Lessons you may have a slight wait for an available glider but please be at the club for the time given to you in the email.
- On the day of your Flight/Course please be at the club for your allocated time and bring your voucher and course booklet with you. We suggest you wear suitable clothing for the conditions on the day, remember this is an open airfield and it can be hot, cold, wet and windy.
Please present the voucher to the duty pilot on your arrival at the gliding club and they will arrange your trial flight.
Family and friends are welcome to visit the gliding club with you although we will have to limit the number of people at the launch point.
Please remember to enter the voucher recipient’s full name when making a purchase.
You can see all planned flying dates on our flying calendar. If you are coming for a Trial Flight, we recommend looking at our On the Day advice beforehand to ensure that you, and your guests, are well prepared to get the most out of your flying experience day.