A short gliding course is ideal for those who not only want an extended experience of glider flight, but set themselves a challenge to make measurable progress towards taking control of the aircraft. By taking a number of successive flights your learning from each can be reinforced, allowing a progressive development of basic skills as a pilot.
Includes 3 launches on your selected flying day (a soaring flight of more than 20 minutes duration will count as two launches)
Your course package includes dedicated use of a dual training glider and a BGA qualified instructor, a gliding information pack and a training record. Also included is 3 months of temporary club membership allowing you to return, fly at club member rates with free instruction (advancing your flying skills even further), and involvement in other club activities before and after flying. On arriving on the day of your course, you will be introduced to your instructor who will give you a briefing before flying. Courses will be individually tailored to suit your level of achievement and aptitude.
Who can Fly?
There are surprisingly few restrictions on who can enjoy gliding. Generally, if you are fit enough to drive a car, you are fit enough to fly.
Disabilities need not prevent someone from taking a mini course, and age is no handicap (just watch the Never Too Old video on the right).
Safety considerations and aircraft loading limitations do, however, mean that small children or people over 6 feet 3 inches (192 cm) may not be able to fly. Maximum weight is 16 st (102 kg).
Flying takes place on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00am…weather permitting!
Purchasing a Silver Course
Pre-paid Silver Course vouchers, valid for use 12 months from issue, are available, and may be purchased online below. You can pay by Credit/Debit card or Pay Pal by using the Buy Now Button (below). The voucher and information booklets will either be emailed or posted to you
Booking Your Course
For safety and comfort reasons, we currently restrict numbers to 4-Trial Lessons OR 2-Silver Course OR 1-Silver Course and 3-Trial Lessons a day.
Once you have received your voucher and information booklet, you can then follow the procedure below to book your Trial Lesson or Silver Course.
- Click on Calendar at the top of this page. This will display the calendar and show the current bookings and vacant dates.
- Look at the calendar and find a suitable Saturday or Sunday that has a slot bearing in mind the 4-Trial Lessons or 2-Silver Course or 1-Silver Course and 3-Trial Lessons limit mentioned above. Please allow one weeks notice for the booking so we can organise an instructor and glider for you.
- Once you have identified a vacant date, please email the following information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Selected date
- Voucher type
- Voucher number
- The name on the voucher
- Phone contact number so we can contact you in the event of a query or bad weather on the selected day
- Your emailed request will be processed and placed on the calendar and a confirmation email will then be sent to you.
- Silver Courses have a glider and instructor allocated to them for the duration of the course and you are asked to be at the club for 10:00 to have an introduction and briefing by your instructor. (we suggest you also bring your lunch with you. Drinks and snacks are available for purchase)
- On the day of your Flight/Course please be at the club for your allocated time and bring your voucher and course booklet with you. We suggest you wear suitable clothing for the conditions on the day, remember this is an open airfield and it can be hot, cold, wet and windy.
Please present the voucher to the duty pilot on your arrival at the gliding club.
Family and friends are welcome to visit the gliding club with you although we will have to limit the number of people at the launch point.
It is always advisable on the day to call the club on the launch point mobile (0777 2704178) to verify that we are flying.
Please remember to enter the voucher recipient’s full name when making a purchase.
Whichever way you choose to pay, you or your chosen recipient will receive a voucher and an information pack.
Please note it will also be necessary to arrange a suitable date for you or the recipient of the course.
To arrange a suitable date for the course or for any further information on gliding opportunities at Darlton, please contact Andrew Barton on 07887 726509 or Simon Lile on 07970 834398 (please do not text) or email email@example.com
Course Booklet Click to download our Mini Gliding Course Information Booklet